Saturday, July 7, 2012

Dancing in the Streets

Sunday, June 24th, 2012 was the 42nd annual NYC Pride March (aka The Gay Pride Parade).   I've only seen glimpses of past marches while on my way elsewhere in NYC, and I could tell just from those few passing moments that the event is charged with crazy positive energy and tons of fun.

This year, I had the opportunity to perform in the parade.  I jumped at the chance to participate because: 

  • I thought it would be a great way to see the parade - from the inside out; 
  • I thought it would be a fun "New York" thing to do before my imminent move out of the state; and 
  • it's not everyday you get to celebrate life and promote civil rights all while boogying down 40+ city blocks in front of screaming crowds.  


So, I did it - and it was awesome.

Photo: Time Warner Cable

The parade lived up to all of my expectations and then some.  To experience the parade from the inside as a performer/marcher was so special.  The crowd was so appreciative and responsive, and for some reason, the view from the middle of the street made the buildings seem to come alive.  It may sound silly, but it was beautiful!  I was eager to take time to proactively think about and promote equal rights for all human beings. And to be amongst people who were celebrating their first year of legal marriage, or people who were fighting for the right to just be able to stand by their partner's side in the hospital, made the whole experience so real and so incredibly profound.  I was grateful for this wake-up call.

But what really surprised me was the realization that it was such a true and pure form of community interaction through dance.  I'm not sure why I wasn't expecting that, I guess I didn't really think about it.  I was hired by Time Warner Cable as a parade dancer and assistant choreographer for their float in the parade (they were a parade sponsor this year).  Time Warner prides itself on the diversity of its workforce and the support they show all of their employees.  This is awesome and I was glad to represent them, but let's face it, we were essentially a corporate dancing advertisement (we were dressed like Cable Technicians for pete's sake).  

Photo: Time Warner Cable

So, I wasn't expecting this to be one of those moments when I connect to the community through art.  But I was wrong, and I should have known better.

When the ensemble of "cable dancers" boogied and improvised passed the parade goers, they smiled and waved, but when our choreographed routine kicked into gear... they went crazy!  The decibel level of cheers and hollers skyrocketed, arms flailed and heads bobbed.  And they gave off this wave of appreciation and joy that we were dancing - for them.  There was this unspoken understanding that we were all here in this place together for a common reason, and this dance that we were doing was created for them. So, by the time we neared the end of the parade route, covered in sweat, nauseas from the fumes of the truck in front of us, ears ringing from the music blasting around us, weak and tired and dehydrated... we kicked it up 200%.  Why?  Because at the end of the route, we were met with the largest, most enthusiastic crowd ever.  They gave us energy, and we gave it back.  We did our improv, we danced our choreographed routine, we made up group dances on the spot, and did it again and again because of this amazing crowd of people.  We were deep in an instantaneous exchange with them - an exchange of ideas, energy, enjoyment, and yes... pride!  

When people have asked me what constitutes "community interaction through dance", my mind would scan through a million possible scenarios.  Now there I have a million and one.




This video captures a moment when we spontaneously made up dances to 
entertain the crowd during a pause in the parade's progress down the route.  

1 comment: